Apr 2, 2024

'B' Bluebonnet...Texas State Flower

For years I planted Bluebonnet seeds in flower beds, in pots in green house conditions and basically in areas that pampered cultivation.  Nothing...nada...not a single leaf much less a bonnet.

So, you can imagine my frustration when the oil slick, tire tracked, bone dry asphalt pothole in front of my house produced a crop of bluebonnets that could have won a grand prize at the Texas State Fair.  

Thanks to Lady Bird Johnson's efforts at highway beautification in Texas and throughout the United States...Bluebonnet blooms along Texas highways, pastures, and my neighbors lawn are abundant.

On March 7, 1901, Lupinus subcarnosus became the only species of bluebonnet recognized as the state flower of Texas.  Texans, however, favored the species Lupinus texensis which led to the Texas Legislature making any similar Lupinus found in Texas the state flower.  Even ones that grow in asphalt potholes.

Since my usually very green thumb sucked at growing Bluebonnets, I resorted to collecting  Bluebonnet and Texas Wildflower fabrics.   You would not believe how easy and successful being a Texas Wildflower fabric gardener can be.  Fabric shop owners sharpened their shears when they saw me coming.  

I eventually opened my own shop...Sue's Quilt Shop.  Lady Bird and I had a common goal...hers to cover the highways and fields, and mine to cover king, queen and baby beds with bluebonnets and Texas Wildflowers.

There's so much more I have to tell about the Bluebonnet and how my Great Aunt Flora was instrumental in passing legislation for it to become the State Flower of Texas.  
That will be Letter F...
Flora's Fight for State Flower.

Until then click HERE for lots of information about Bluebonnets.  You might want to try your 'Green Thumb' at growing them.  You can find several Bluebonnet Seed companies on the site.  Go ahead and drop a few in an asphalt pothole and throw a handful in your neighbors yard. 
 
Thanks for visiting Where Bluebonnets Bloom
All photos by Sue McPeak ©reserved

2 comments:

  1. I have heard about the bluebonnet, yet not until recently did I find out it's "just" a type of lupine! That kind of let me down. I love lupine, but I thought a bluebonnet was something different. It's a much more lovely state flower than mine, Oregon grape. Is that fabric? It's absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Texas (Wichita Falls) for eight months many years ago, moving there in June and leaving in mid February. Perhaps I missed their blooming season - I don't remember them at all. I've never been back, either. I would love to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit and comment. Welcome to Where Bluebonnets Grow. I would love to visit your blog...leave me a link...we will chat!