Apr 1, 2024

'A'...Autumn Joy & Asclepias

 Fodder for the Monarch Butterfly

Annually in August, the Monarch Migration arrives in Texas. This Prince of Butterfles heads South for the Winter on what is an amazing journey from Canada to Mexico. 

With Texas being right in the middle of the route to Mexico, Texans gear up every year by creating Habitats for the Monarchs.

Butterfly gardens are easy to plant, and you can design one that gives monarchs a habitat throughout their breeding cycle. As with all butterflies, you should grow plants that will host the eggs and feed the larvae ("caterpillar plants") and/or Provide nectar to adult butterflies ("nectar plants").

Usually Monarchs feast on their favorite blooms of Autumn Joy.  The bees like it too. 

Milkweed is the monarch's larval plant. It is the host for egg-laying and the food for the larvae. Here are a few milkweed species you may be able to plant in your region:

  • Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)
  • Showy Milkweed (Asclepias speciosa)
  • Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca)
  • Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Photographing Butterflies is one of the 'Joys of Autum', and I look forward to the Monarchs visit to Texas on their way to Mexico.

I'm not sure that these photos are actual Monarchs or another variety.  
No matter, they are still enough to allow me to get this close for a zoom shot.

Thanks for visiting Where Bluebonnets Grow
All photos by Sue McPeak ©reserved

8 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty! I love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. Butterflies are amazing creatures. The Monarchs are especially interesting to Texans as they journey through our State on the way to Mexico.

      Delete
  2. I only saw a small handfuls of monarchs last year. I hope you saw more during their migration through Texas. Sadly, I have a small property and not enough room for milkweed. I understand it's aggressive and it wouldn't be suitable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number I see vary from year to year. Often not in my own back yard, but in an expected habitat when not looking for them. I know milkweed spreads and reseeds.

      Delete
  3. So pretty. My native milkweed is the narrowleaf milkweed. I get loads of pollinators, but few butterflies. I get few butterflies in my flower-full yard at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. Some years the Autumn Joy has fuller flowers and attracts more butterflies. I feel really lucky to get so close...zoom lens helps.

      Delete
  4. Great photos. I like the idea of a butterfly garden.

    Ronel visiting for A: My Languishing TBR: A
    Abominable Wraiths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Butterfly Gardens can be found in many parks and private gardens here in Texas since it is in the Monarch migration path.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit and comment. Welcome to Where Bluebonnets Grow. I would love to visit your blog...leave me a link...we will chat!