Apr 11, 2024

'J' Johnson City, TX...LBJ Settlement

 President Johnson's Ancestorial History

I travel through Johnson City often on my way to New Braunfels.  There are other Texas highways to my destination, including Interstate 10, but I like the back roads through the Hill Country. Especially during this time of the year.

You see...it's Wildflower blooming time!

While driving through Johnson City, Texas, several years ago, I spotted the vibrant orange and yellow Texas Lantana at the Johnson Settlement Event Center. 

I had driven past it many times thinking someday I need to stop and go through the ranch like Settlement.  On that summer like day, the Lantana was calling my photographer name.

It turned out to be not only a Wildflower photographers heaven, but also a history lesson for a Texas History buff.  LBJ's pioneer ancestors and mine were settlers in Texas in the late 1880's and early 1990's.  The Johnson's in Blanco County and my 2x Great Grandfather in the nearby hill country town of Mason in Mason County. 

I am so glad the Texas Lantana called my name that day.  I really enjoyed the LBJ's family history as well as all of the buildings and ranch setting displays that were once a part of the Johnson's home. Just look at Eliza...isn't she lovely.  Her kitchen was on display as well as her spinning wheel.

I did mention it was then and is now...April...Wildflower blooming time in the Hill Country of Texas.   If ever you are passing through Johnson City, Texas, plan on walking the ranch of LBJ's ancestors.
HERE is the link to get you started.

Thanks for visiting Where Bluebonnets Grow
All photos by Sue McPeak ©reserved

2 comments:

  1. This is a place I would love to visit for the history. The wildflowers would be a bonus. In my short time living in Texas in the mid 1970s I wasn't there for wildflower time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do those pioneer houses speak to me? If I believed in reincarnation, I would believe I was a reborn Pioneer woman.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit and comment. Welcome to Where Bluebonnets Grow. I would love to visit your blog...leave me a link...we will chat!