Apr 18, 2024

'P' Palmyra

The Person...Not An Ancient City

Palmyra was an ancient city in Syria.  In the age of antiquity, it was an important city of central Syria located in an oasis Northeast of Damascus and Southwest of the Euphrates.  It had been a vital caravan city for travelers crossing the Syrian desert and was known as the 'Bride of the Desert'.

Palmyra the person was one of 25 or so photos in my Great Grandmother Carroll's album from the late 1890's through about 1910.  The Album was passed down through my Father's maternal family.  It came to me as the Family Historian in 1991...20 years after her death at age 94.

The Album had not been in her possession since the early 1950's, hence the lack of knowledge of the 'Who, What and Where's of the photos and scraps of memorabilia.

After establishing my Family Tree and many hours of research on Ancestry.com, Palmyra's photo and her relationship to my Great Grandmother Carroll and me was determined.

Female lines in Family Trees can be complicated and sorting out the branches is often difficult to convey without a 'Tree' diagram.  So here goes with a short branch to get to why the only 8x10 photo with Palmyra's name penciled on the back was in my Great Grandmother's Album.

Relationship to my Great Grandfather... Aunt...sister of Mother

Relationship to my Great Grandmother...Aunt by marriage

Relationship to me...2xGrand Aunt...sister of my 2xGreat Grandmother who was Mother of my Great Grandfather.

Knowing who Palmyra was opened a 'Tree Branch' that led to an Ancestor Line I didn't know existed.  Thanks to my Great Grandmother's Album and her close relationship to her husbands Aunt Palmyra, several more album photos were identified and names added to my Ancestry Tree.

Want to know more about Ancient City of Palmyra?  I sure did, but mostly wondered why my 2xGreat Grandmother named her daughter Palmyra.  Could it have been from reading the ancient Hebrew Bible story of how King Solomon of Israel built/fortified the city of Palmyra?  Afterall, 2XGreat Grandmother's father's name was Solomon...not a name for a girl, but how about Palmyra! 
HERE is Ancient City of Palmyra's wikipedia link.

Thanks for visiting Where Bluebonnets Grow
All photos by Sue McPeak ©reserved

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of Palmyra as a woman's name-you have found out so much about your family history. We have a village and town of Palmyra in New York State - it's about 20 miles from Rochester, and is important in Mormon history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious album! My brother is our family genealogy keeper. He can go on and on about someone being a great great grandfather to our half cousins brother by marriage... or things like that! When I get notifications from the DNA place he had me use, I just send them his way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find family history interesting. I have an uncle on both my father's and mother's side that has done a lot of family history. One uncle has passed and I'm not sure where the information went. I think it would be something I would like to do when I retire.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit and comment. Welcome to Where Bluebonnets Grow. I would love to visit your blog...leave me a link...we will chat!